Generally speaking a blog can be thought of as a personal journal documented on a webpage or site. Blogs can consist of text, images, videos, discussions and reader comments.
Blogs express as many different subjects and opinions as there are people writing them. Some blogs are highly influential and have enormous readerships while others are primarily intended for a close circle of family and friends.
The power of blogs is they allow millions of people to easily publish their ideas, and millions more to read and comment on them.
Blogging is now a popular communication channel used by many businesses because it’s a great way to share their stories with their target audience, share professional advice and engage with their customers.
Blogging for Business
The benefits of blogging for businesses:
- Blogs are a great way of sharing your expert knowledge and positioning yourself as an expert on a particular topic
- They naturally attract search engine traffic and many blogging platforms, such as wordpress already have optimised site architecture
- Drive traffic to your website
- Allow you to share information with customers
- Inform people about your business and any new developments, staff appointments, new products or services, etc.
- Permit the kind of conversations that are necessary to truly connect with modern customers
- Create opportunities to build relationships with your customers
- Allow you to tell your stories and deliver your own messages to the public without using the media
How to blog
Starting a blog is easy. Several companies, such as wordpress.com offer free blogging tools.
You don’t need to a technical whiz because wordpress.com is a fairly simple platform to navigate. It does take a little time to do the initial set up but once you have done that all you need is story ideas and away you go.
What to post: What you write is up to you, but try to spark discussion and share experiences, ideas and relevant information.
Keep your content fresh: Posting content from a variety of mediums, for example you could write a how to guide, conduct interviews, post videos, ask questions, record podcasts or run a giveaway.
Ask for contributions: You can ask other people or bloggers to write a post to include on your blog. You can also offer them a guest blogging position where they contribute a regular post to your blog.
Share your blog on social media: Every time you upload a new blog post you can share the link on your social media sites. This alerts your followers to the new post without hassling them. It also attracts new readers.
When to post: You should post at least two times a week on your blog. Pick two days that you will post and stick to them.
Build traffic: Read other blogs and comment so that it links back to your own blog. You can also offer to be a guest blogger on other websites to increase your exposure. Create an RSS feed of your blog posts to provide an easy way for readers to be updated on new posts. Use programs like FeedBurner to keep track of how many subscribers you have.
Blogs are a great way to share information, build your profile and position yourself as an expert.
So start blogging today!
For inspiration visit CP Communications blogs Public Relations Sydney and Social Media Sydney.